Leeders take the top prize at HAD golf day
17 October 2018
The Leeders golf team lived up to their name by taking top spot in the 12th annual HAD charity golf day.
Watford-based David Williams, Laurie Fellows, Richard Malone and Andy Needham left the Hertfordshire Country Club, Broxbourne with the silver HAD trophy after narrowly beating last year's winners – Comfort in Drink. Laurie Fellows also picked up a trophy after accumulating 36 Stableford points.
“We had a great time and luckily our play was almost as good as the weather,” David Williams explained. “Things looked a bit different a couple of days before the event when our captain Steve Lee dropped out. We replaced him with Andy and he played so well we're not sure if Steve will get back into the team!”
Prizes were also presented to Ben Newton: best individual score (38), Chris Riley: second best individual score (38), Kevin Aston: longest drive and Mike Meldrum: nearest the pin.
The day was also a success financially as HAD fundraiser Paul Bishop explained: “The event made £2,500, helped by a post-lunch auction that was generously supported by all the players. Thanks also to event sponsors Complete IT and Specialist Cars, Stevenage.”
WHO FINISHED WHERE
1. Leeders: David Williams, Richard Malone, Laurie Fellows and Andy Needham 98 points
2. Comfort In Drink: Mike Meldrum, Richard Hayden, Innes Miller and Billy Allan 96
3. I've HAD It With You Lot: Ben Newton, Paul Americh, Neil Dytham and Gary Bowman 95
4. Where's Weddy Again?: Piers Connolly, Barry Walker, Alistair Young and Chris Riley 93
5. Five Star Trophies: Ross Kemp, Brian Kemp, Neil Kemp and Steve Bass 92
6. Gang of 4: Nigel Moore, Andrew Sheach, John Weeks and Edward Benzecry 91
7. PALS: Chris Pomroy, Kevin Aston, Mike Williams and Tim Ryan 82
8. Old Hackers: Jon Berry, Jim Latham and Joe Randall 69
9. Kingston Smith: Silvia Vitiello and Mike Hayes 65
Next year's event will be held on Friday 6 September at Stocks in Aldbury, near Tring. If you would like to play contact Paul Bishop on 07973 237162. Download the flyer here and the entry form here.